Sunday, February 6, 2011

We are to be light and salt to the World..

Living in the city for the past few months I have had many encounters with people of the city. I enjoy getting into conversations with people on the bus, train, and walking on the sidewalks. Through these encounters God has taught me what being "salt and light" means in a practical everyday sense. I think God wants us to be interacting with worldly people daily.

Matthew 5:13-16 (New International Version, ©2010)
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

As salt brings flavor to food, I believe Christians are meant to be the flavor of God to those of the world. Flavor does not sustain or give nutrients but it does make us want more of something... if its a good flavor. And the bible tells us what that good flavor is...

Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version, ©2010)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

When we give people a taste of this flavor their hearts are softened and they may not realize it but they are closer to the revelation of Jesus Christ. This is a simple thing that I believe All are called to do.

Being salt makes people want God, being light helps people see God.

 God has taught me to be very intentional about making conversation with people everywhere I go. If find I am talking to a Christian it is good because I've have made a connection to a brother or sister in Christ. I then have an opportunity to encourage them. If the person has not found Christ yet I treat them like a future brother or sister in optomistic expectation of that. Are we called to share the gospel with every person everytime?.. God has not led me to do this. More often He just has me reveal to this person that I am a Christian. I think it can be just as fruitful to give someone a genuine interaction with a Christian that can shed light on Christ and soften hearts for future evangalism.

The most important part of everyday evangalism is to be in prayer before during and after the interaction with the person. Asking God to soften this person spiritually so my physical words can plant a seed in soft soil. God loves this and it also increases my faith and sense of purpose. I would encourage everyone to try this.. and just see what God does.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're blogging, Jon. I love your emphasis on prayer and leaving the results in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete